One of the best things about our friendship is that, despite those differences, we are able to grow both individually and together. We've been able to expose each other to things we've never experienced before to expand our horizons and be better people. One of the hardest things for me to overcome is our different views on our beliefs in religion. An Atheist, it has been difficult for me to support my friend in something that she believes in so strongly, that my disbelief in is two-fold. I am hardwired for anger and frustration since viewing a lifetime of the Church's non-acceptance, if not hatred, for gays and, being a logical person, I need proof, of which there isn't any, to believe. The idea of 'faith' isn't one that I can wrap my head around because I need to see it. Show me, don't tell me, has always been my mantra, and the majority of time, all I see is hypocrisy in the whole religious process. But during the processing of our friendship, I have been able to put some things into perspective and realize that we all want and practice the same thing. Every major religion, as well as the way any human being should conduct themselves, is anchored in love, compassion and forgiveness. It all comes down to if you want to open your heart and mind to these practices and how devoted you are to the cause. It's how much you walk the walk and talk the talk.
Symbolism is all around us in all cultures. Recently, Robin gave me a tied bunch of sage that I was to light and walk around my house to cleanse and purify the air of negativity and bad spirits, as practiced by the Native Americans. In the Catholic religion, the burning of incense is a sign of reverence and dedication. Praying the rosary symbolizes your act of devotion, practice and structure, as you make time every day to keep what you believe and are dedicated to in-hand, literally, thumbing your way through the chain of beads, reciting your prayers and keeping those things and people important to you present in your day. Again, anything worth having takes effort.
A few weeks ago, I decided that I was going to hand-make her a rosary for her birthday. Like so many times in the past when sorting through my ideals regarding religion, I had to process what exactly this meant. I mean, it's kind of odd that an Atheist would make a religious symbol for someone and I wanted it to be something more special than just a bunch of pretty beads which, at first, was all it was to me, being a gay who likes sparkly things. So after I did some research into the meaning of the rosary, I took into consideration what she wanted and her personality and mine (I added a bit of fabulous and bling to it) and, with the help of my friend, Vernon (who taught me the jewelry techniques and helped me pick out the beads), I started banging it out. I chose a simple cross and beads that matched the Our Lady of Lourdes (her parish) medallion that connected it. About 12 hours later, with fingers raw from twisting the wire around the beads, a technique that makes it stronger so it doesn't fall apart, it was finished and I presented it to her (shown in the picture wrapped around a bundle of sage (cleansing of my negativity)).
A bit of her, a bit of me... some compassion, sacrifice, belief, tradition, meaning, dedication and a splash of fabulous and her birthday gift was made... as well as our friendship over time... from the same ingredients. Both gifts to cherish, always.



👏 👏 👏 👏 👏
ReplyDeleteI've pondered for two days (unsuccessfully) trying to come up with a witty worthy comment! Remembering the simple fact that all you have ever required of me, is to be myself, makes it simple, so here it is; I am absolutely honored, to hold such a high place in your life. To borrow words from an unknown, "You can only see as far as you can think." Thank you for giving me the courage to be my own person, the strength to take off my "rose-colored glasses," the confidence to let my voice be heard, and for opening up my world. I am forever greatful. Thank you as well, for honoring who I am, and creating a beautiful rosary that tells not only my story, but the story of what is possible, when people allow themselves the freedom to grow. You are my best friend, my mentor, my brother, my safe-haven and my 911. Love you with all my heart!
ReplyDelete