As much as we hate to admit it, Jennifer Lopez plays romantic angst really well. She's done several movies that didn't exactly kill at the box office but still are great to watch several (hundreds of) times, especially on a rainy Sunday afternoon when it's just you and your dog snuggled up on the chaise lounge with a box of Fiddle-Faddle and a cup of tea. We all know the story... boy meets girl in the least likely place, girl is hesitant because she's been burned before, boy says stuff and makes gestures to show he's legit, girl gives in to date, major shit is revealed about the boy, girl runs away from him (cut to Fall montages of her making cookies and scenes of her looking wantingly off into the distance while she can't stop thinking about the boy), she runs into him by accident and they go on a date and get married the next day. Ok, maybe that only happened to me (ten too many times), but it is the plot for many a romantic movie. When the credits roll... and you wipe that tear you fought to hold back, you realize that you are by yourself, there's caramel on your comforter and your dog has been dry-humping your leg and you didn't even notice.
We're always looking for love... and Mr. Right, even when we already have a (last week's) Mr. Right. We're always in hot pursuit... or should I say in the pursuit of hot. Even when we were little, we were exposed to it with the fairy tales and Disney movies and even with
I always have to laugh at straight people when they complain about being alone. There are so many avenues for finding a mate when you're straight. You can't go 10 feet without running into a straight guy or girl... meanwhile, as a gay, we only have 10% of the dating pool, and it's mostly the shallow end. Subtract out the one's already in a 'relationship' (I almost spit out my coffee) and it's even a more narrow search. This isn't even taking mutual attraction into consideration. It's frustrating going about your day and seeing a guy you are attracted to and realize they are straight. It's like being rejected twice... and the first reason is their no-wiener policy. Even other straight guys are your competition. What's with all this touching and stuff that goes on in these bromances? It doesn't help that straight guys and hipsters are gayer than gay guys these days. No wonder my gaydar doesn't work any more.
I don't want to admit to myself that I have probably given up on love. I go on dates thinking this may be the one... I have an app on my phone thinking that I'm going to get a message from the one decent guy on there... I go out thinking someone nice will approach me... I guess there's still a part of me that thinks I'll be in the Piggly Wiggly produce department and I'll reach for the same melon that the guy of my dreams is reaching for and our eyes will meet and it will be kismet. That if I had love, everything would be better and it would all fall into place (oh wait... where have I heard this before?) Maybe my first mistake is believing that... or maybe my mistake is reaching for melons when I should be reaching for fresh nuts?


I found my Mr. Right when I was 53 years old. I won't bore you with the details, but it turned out to be one of those "standing right in front of my eyes all the time" deals, someone I had previously brushed off as not my type. We have been together over ten years now and are happily married.
ReplyDeleteHope your own search works out!
I'm a little weirded out that you watch Jennifer Lopez movies. :)
ReplyDelete