Friday, January 31, 2014

Chinese New Year Resolution

I've always been one to buck the system and not be a trend follower, sometimes out of spite.  I don't like doing what everyone else is doing, which is probably why I'm hooked on Candy Crush now instead of last year when everyone else was caught up in the craze.  And along the same lines, I didn't want to be a cliché or ironic by running back to the gym January 1st, so I waited... until today (which, ironically is Chinese New Year... so that makes me a trend-setter... the first on my block to set a resolution for the year).

We're not stupid... we know what we should and shouldn't eat... and that we shouldn't smoke and that exercise is good for us, but getting your body to follow suit isn't as easy, even with our magnificent auto-response system... throw a piece of popcorn in the air and try to catch it in your mouth... or plow through a bag of chips while watching a movie and you don't even have to look to get it in your fat face.  But sit there and say to yourself  "OK, fat girl... today is the day we're going to do this... get up"... and the response from your body is dismal at best.

Procrastination is our worse enemy.  Here are some tips to end the cycle...

1.  Be Specific:  Set a precise goal.  Instead of 'I'll do that this weekend'... replace that with 'I'll do that Saturday morning at 9 a.m.
2.  Think Long-Term:  Avoid short-term fixes that make you feel good for a few days, only to be back in the same boat again.
3.  Use Willpower Wisely:  We often fail to start because our get-up-and-go had gotten up and went.  Avoid burnout by tackling the dreaded duties first thing.  Hit the gym in the a.m. instead of waiting until after work when you're sure to be tired.
4.  Curb Cop-Outs:  'I work better under pressure' or 'I'll feel like doing that later' will only result in failure and you'll be prone to make mistakes.
5.  Pinpoint Emotions:  The less we identify our emotions, the more we procrastinate.  By being mindful of our feelings, we can better understand what's making us run away from a task- whether it's fear or frustration or boredom.  Negative emotions don't define us, but they can undermine us.

Today, I made it back to the gym after three months of not going.  I could see the sneer of the girl who checked me in at the front desk, judging me in my sauna pants.  But, with being off from landscaping for three and a half months, I have no excuse.  Further, with my back problems, having a strong core is the only way I'm going to make it through the beginning of my season in mid-March when it's heavy in manual labor.  At 195lbs and 21% fat content, I have some work to do in a short amount of time.  I also went to the store and picked up some healthy foods.  No more pop... no more scrumpets... no more pasta or bread... and no more pleasure.  I'm waiting for the gym high to kick in... any minute now, I hope.

3 comments:

  1. Goods tips, thanks. Who cares what the girl at the front desk thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your advice; I am working on achieving my NYE resolutions as well.
    BTW < Someone started playing Candy Crush too; I haven't seen him for days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what is your Chinese zodiac sign and how accurate is it? I'm a dragon and it fits me.

    ReplyDelete