Saturday, December 7, 2013

Pope-on-a-Rope

I have been told that I write a lot of posts on religion, especially for an Atheist, and I suppose a lot of what I write is to discredit it... but not in the sense of placing myself in a position of superiority (as most Catholics do) but, rather, in an attempt to understand it in my head... something that has been a life-long pursuit of mine.  In my blog, I am able to work through my issues and concerns, and religion has been both for me.  I guess if it wasn't for the hypocrisy of the Church and it's people, the cover-up of the pedophilia and that religion is most often at the heart of the cause of war, I would just block it out.  But when it infringes on my rights and aspects of my life (as well as government and education), it's hard to ignore.   I am not well-versed on the many religions in the world so, for the sake of argument, the source of my angst is Christianity.

For me, it's simple.  As I stated in the past, I am a realist with a huge belief in science and the tangible.  And while I think there may have been a cool dude named Jesus, I think that most of it is a hoax to get people to act a certain way, which actually isn't such a bad thing, depending on what's the actual directive they are trying to preach.  If you remove the idea of where you're going when you're dead (heaven and hell), to me, the rest is just following the teachings of Jesus... which is trying to be the best person you can be.  Even with the idea of a higher power, it's really just a lesson in humility.  I'm not even sure why there is religion, except for the part of trying to control people and making people feel better about death and the things that happen to them that they cannot, on their own, control or rationalize.  It's not surprising that most religious people are not rooted in science, for it would totally denounce their whole belief system.  It must be difficult to have your whole being based off a book that is mired in ambiguity and confusion.  How can the cornerstone book of an organization created to lead (control) it's followers be so unclear?  The book, written by man, is open for interpretation... and THAT'S where the problem lies.  That, and the ideal that one's religion is superior to another.  If followers could wrap their heads around the fact that their religion isn't the law of the land, we all would be better off.  Be careful what you wish for Christians... prayer in school could very well mean pagan rituals or a moment to rub the belly of the Buddha... or, dare we imagine, sitting down on the floor facing Mecca.  It's all a possibility, technically.  Wow, the PTA meetings would be awesome to see... who's bringing the snacks and refreshments?


Religion has many intersections.  The hardest for me to understand is with politics.  The Republicans are generally a religious folk, which is contradictory to their policy.  It has been proven that the RNC uses the religious to get votes by riling their hotspots... gays and abortion... at voting time to get their agenda through.  The teachings of Jesus tell us to love one another... don't worship both God and money... and to take care of the sick and poor and, yet, that is the antithesis of the foundation of the Republican principles. They treat women like crap, hate gays, are racist towards minorities, they are full of greed and worship the dollar, and oppose health care and any other program that helps the people that they, pretty much, trampled all over to get on top.  This couldn't be illustrated more perfectly than by the reaction of some Christians and Republicans towards the new Pope, Francis.  The first Latino Pope and first Jesuit, it seems like they finally, after 266 tries, got it right.  He has shunned the elaborate pomp and circumstance of the previous papal and has used public transportation.  He has come out swinging against the condition of the present-day complacency of the Church, urging it to return to it's focus on the truly needy... against capitalism at the expense of the poor... against priestly celibacy... against inequality...  and has a different view on abortion and gay marriage... and people in the church and the RNC are pissed about it.  Imagine him, spreading the Word of the Lord.

Let's face it, religion is part cult and part business, albeit "not-for-profit" (lol).  People are touting him for his views on business... but this could be the best financial shot-in-the-arm that the Church desperately needs to survive.  With followers dropping like flies, even the Atheists are loving this guy.  In my opinion, if you are going to follow your faith, then you should actually do just that... spread the teachings of Jesus... and who better to do this than Pope Francis, the people's Pope.  A few weeks ago, he sent out a questionnaire to all parishioners asking their opinion on several ideals, of which he intends to use to make changes to outdated, archaic ideals and to draw more people in and, with his shaking things up and cleaning up the Church, he could be the soap-on-a-rope Pope that they need.  I just hope that the rope isn't around his neck, as I fear for his life because of his not-so-radical (by non-Church standards) view... because people can be adverse to change... especially when it's for the good... in this case, of mankind.

2 comments:

  1. I love demolishing religious arguments. And now I know for example that Christianity and even Islam are based on bogus belief.

    I'll take Islam here - I was reminded when I saw the crescent moon tonight. The reason that symbol is prevalent in Islam? Because Al'Lah was a Moon God before that fucking mutt Mohammed decided to 'upgrade' him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Let's face it, religion is part cult and part business, albeit "not-for-profit" (lol)."

    my sister is part of this cult; I escaped. the lies/extortion/money/perverts in this cult are disgusting. I think for myself.

    ReplyDelete