My plight, possibly too late to change, is both comforting and disturbing, realizing that this may be my future. As I get older, this becomes more and more normal to me, which is even more disturbing that I'm ok with it, especially always having been a relationship person. I am ok being with myself and by myself... and, for now, I choose to be alone.
Thursday, October 24, 2013
Two Sides of Being Lonely
I've always been a loner. I, most times, prefer it. I think this comes from doing so much for others that I long for a time where I can get a break from the constant tugging of my time and attention. As a little kid, I would spend a lot of time in my room with the door shut and, to this day, I do the same thing. Even with my Dad living with me and not really seeing much of him (me in my room and him utilizing the rest of the house), I absolutely love when I get home and he's out. There's nothing more that I do when he isn't home, it's just knowing that no one is going to bother me. As I become older, I seek out activities of solitude... kayaking in the middle of a lake... vacations in the middle of the desert... car rides in the middle of nowhere... all things that I like to do that removes me from others, if not isolates me. With a natural instinct to run away, it's become my chosen way of coping. I suppose, to a degree, I don't know how to say 'no', so removing myself from those situations proves to be a good way to protect myself from, well... me.
Perhaps a fate worse than being alone (by yourself), though, is being with someone that you're not meant to be with and feeling lonelier still. Having stuff in common with someone isn't the same as having a connection, and you can't force it, it has to happen naturally, and staying in a situation like this is a disservice to them, as well as yourself. That loneliness and emptiness that you're going it alone while someone is sitting right beside you... when you reach out for them and they are right there, but you are paralyzed and you can't open up. I have become this person; one who can't allow someone to be there for me, afraid that they won't be there when I need them or that they'll disappoint me, which seems to happen every time. As a result, no bond is made and I close myself off in every way. The relationship feels like I'm just going through the motions... as if we're cut-outs of a couple... and it all looks great on paper but at the end of the day, they are folded up and put back in the drawer... one dimensional and flat. I push the person away and lock myself back in my room and withdraw, protecting myself, when the person I need to be protecting myself from is, perhaps, myself. Being aware of patterns are a starting point, I suppose.
My plight, possibly too late to change, is both comforting and disturbing, realizing that this may be my future. As I get older, this becomes more and more normal to me, which is even more disturbing that I'm ok with it, especially always having been a relationship person. I am ok being with myself and by myself... and, for now, I choose to be alone.
My plight, possibly too late to change, is both comforting and disturbing, realizing that this may be my future. As I get older, this becomes more and more normal to me, which is even more disturbing that I'm ok with it, especially always having been a relationship person. I am ok being with myself and by myself... and, for now, I choose to be alone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You can’t allow someone to be there for you because you’re afraid they will not be there, or, will disappoint you. This statement made me sad. It sort sums up how I feel about my life now. I can understand the fear of taking a risk getting to know a person. After a really difficult split, I don’t know if I will ever be able to be as open as I need to be in a relationship. I probably need to see a therapist.
ReplyDeleteBeing alone and lonely are two different avenues especially with a Gemini. A happy person does not need others to validate their persona. When the connection happens it will happen and you will feel it like being comfortable with an old pair of topsiders.
ReplyDelete:(
ReplyDeleteas always David, your writing is succinct and lovely. I very much enjoy reading your prose. This one made me sad; I hope you are content in whatever happens your way.
ReplyDeleteI could have written this but just not as eloquently and the kayaking. I'm also living with my dad (he's 80) and was first taken care of by his mom and then went directly from living with her to be married to my mom for 49.85 years and having her take care of him.
ReplyDeleteI still have "the dream" but now I don't wake up empty or crying (exaggerating) and I have my doggies.
Some people just don't have that much need for social interaction. Maybe you are more of an introvert. That's just the way you are. If you wanted more social interaction, you would put more effort into it. Do you have interest in meeting anyone? Even just 1-1 meeting?
ReplyDeleteI belong to two social groups... I don't have a problem with social interaction, but usually prefer one-on-one. I'm not a shut-in... I just really need my time by myself. I get overwhelmed when I have too much social pressure.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, society often calls such people "loners" and that word has a negative connotation. Check out the book "Quiet" by Susan Cain.
Delete{{Hugs}} I understand.
ReplyDeleteWhy do most people equate being alone and by yourself as sad? I'm 62 now and have been single for 22 years now so I've pretty much accepted this is how it will be to the end but at least I'm not miserable putting up with someone else.
ReplyDeleteThis is how I feel nowadays, I really enjoy my alone time, yeah I use to be that hardcore party bear, but now all I want is piece and quiet, I know ill be alone till I expire and im completely fine with that, im constantly taking care of people as you know and since ive stopped the party life and focused on my health and building muscle, I can say im truly happy and those that care about me and truly know me before I went down the black tunnel are still beside me and accept me for me and one of those people are you, and all it took was that one phone call and message you sent me and now look almost 2years and im firing up for the muscle bear title now haha. But be who you are you know im never gonna leave your side :) big bear hugs
ReplyDelete