Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A True Patriot

Patriotism is defined as 'love or devotion to one's country'.  Nowhere in that definition is the word 'superiority', so why is it then that most people's actions are more towards rising to the top... or getting all they can... or beating someone else down to get what they want?  Having an arsenal of guns to overthrow the government makes you a patriot?  Flying a confederate flag makes you American?  Um, no...it makes you treasonous and hypocritical.  The very notion of a paranoid disillusion of getting to a point of having to overthrow our government suggests that you'd have no belief in the Constitution, Bill of Rights, principles and laws this country is built upon to begin with.  Perhaps it is that person who is the true enemy.  The acts on humanity in the fight for power or in the name of one religion over another is disgusting, and though, it happened and it's still happening every day... it's all part of our history.  It's nothing to be proud of.

Working together for a common goal... taking care of each and every one of us... helping each other out... pulling resources... standing up for equality for all... and standing strong on the principles that this country was built upon... that's what being a patriot is all about.  Being a working, law-abiding, voting citizen... that's an American patriot.  "All men are created equal" and "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses" are a few of the examples of how we should be living as Americans... every day.  It shouldn't take a tragedy to bring us together.

Putting a ribbon on the antenna or a magnet on the back end of the car or a picture of 9/11 as your Facebook profile picture doesn't make you a patriot.  If you want to be a patriot, I suggest you start with the verbs in the definition... Love and Devotion.

3 comments:

  1. YEAH! and I am tired of the h8ers wrapping themselves in the flag and telling ME that, because I don't follow their line of thinking, I should get the hell out of MY country. OH HELLZ NO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh David, this is the kind of talk I held during my 20's and parts of my 30's. I realised that I was "preaching in the desert". I now must admit that I have given up on humanity.

    And what country are we talking about? The one stolen to my mother's ancestors? All the countries on earth are lies. The Universe is my home and my will is the only Law.

    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete