Faith is described in the dictionary as "confidence or trust in a person or thing or another's ability"... going further by saying "belief that is not based on proof". The Bible defines faith as “being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see”, which doesn't surprise me since faith is the cornerstone of the basis for religion and the Bible is chock-full of things that can't be explained by evidence.
Being gay, it's difficult to separate how the Church acts and what they say. There isn't a better example of hypocrisy and the actions speak louder proverb couldn't be more proven by religion. "God is Love", "Love Thy Neighbor", "We are all God's Children"... are all things regurgitated but seldom followed, especially in regards to gays. So it's no wonder that the majority of gays are Athiests, myself included. After all, how can I believe in something that, supposedly, condemns me to the bowels of Hell when it was, supposedly, that something that created me, and in it's image? This becomes a real struggle for those who believe and a battle that can't be won, resulting in constant angst and, in cases, taking one's life.
In my rationalization, I have to believe that if there is a higher power and they created me, then they know what they're doing (faith in another's ability). And while I don't follow the scriptures and the teachings of the Bible, I was taught what was right and wrong, and I try to live my life accordingly. I answer to myself and I do what I do because it's the right thing to do, whether what's respectable, kind, considerate, moral, or what's law. I don't look for praise for my deeds. I don't do it for promise of reward or threat of punishment as religion dictates. It's most times thankless and not the easiest path to take, but I do it to hold myself accountable. In this regard, I often feel that I am more 'Christian' than Christians are. My further belief is that, if there is a higher power, on my judgment day, how I lived my life and treated others would be valued as much as anyone who 'believes'... and who I loved (as if it's a sin) wouldn't take precedent over how I loved.
.jpg)


My mom, a devout but not one of the crazy catholic's, understood me (I'm very much like you) and said that if i didn't deserve to be in heaven then neither did she. And she wouldn't want to be.
ReplyDeleteLike you I try to do no harm to others, I try to do what is fair and right and to treat other as well as (and usually better - damn self esteem issues) I expect to be treated.
Very good post. I enjoyed your others too buy just didn't have the time to comment.
Another great post, you seem to be able to capture in words what I can't. Thanks!!!
ReplyDeleteThis was a well done entry, as usual.
ReplyDelete" and it wreaks havoc on my skin and height of my hair" does not make you vain; this makes you well, one of Nature's bachelors!